During the month of March you will find simple recipes that can help you plan meals for the hectic week ahead. We’ve already shown you three recipes you could quickly and easily make with slow cooker shredded chicken. This week, pot roast is the star of our meal planning show. Make beef pot roast on slow cooker Sunday and put a few twists on the classic dish throughout the week.
Growing up, we would visit my grandparents house and could always expect something to be on the stove. My favorite visits were the days my grandfather had his famous (to us) homemade marinara sauce simmering away on the stovetop. He would keep a warm baguette next to saucepan and we’d taste test (day-long taste tests are a thing, right?) until the sauce was just right – or gone.
Fortunately, this stovetop meat sauce doesn’t require an all-day simmer, but it’s sure to be one of your new go-to weeknight meals. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook carrots, onions, celery, and garlic. Then reduce the heat and add your family’s favorite store-bought marinara sauce (this is a real time saver), the pre-made pot roast from the weekend, salt, and oregano. Heat the sauce through for about 10 minutes and presto – a hearty meat sauce.
While my family would gladly enjoy this meat sauce with a chunk of warm bread, for a more substantial meal pour it on top of your favorite pasta or egg noodles. Plan ahead to use pot roast and some fresh vegetables to easily upgrade store-bought marinara into something special.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1 pound) egg noodles, cooked
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat oil. Add carrots. Cook until carrots are slightly tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in onions, celery and garlic. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in marinara sauce, beef, oregano and salt. Cook until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Serve over noodles and top with Parmesan cheese.
- For easy meal planning, prepare a large pot roast in a slow cooker. Reserve remaining shredded beef for other meals.
Other pasta recipes to try: