Looking for a simple vegetarian side dish or snack? Let me introduce you to baked asparagus fries. These “fries” are baked in the Easy Reach Toaster Oven and couldn’t be easier to make.
First, make a 2-for-1 spread that helps breadcrumbs stick to the asparagus before baking and works as an easy dip for the fries (any leftover spread would be delicious on salmon, burgers, or your favorite sandwich). You only have to dirty one bowl – score.
Mix mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Then brush asparagus with the mayonnaise mixture and roll in breadcrumbs (we used panko because they brown beautifully and add a nice crunch) until fully coated. The Test Kitchen found that thick asparagus work best with this recipe, so steer clear of the pencil-thin stalks you can sometimes find at the grocery store.
Place the asparagus on a baking pan and bake at 425 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and you’re ready to dip and dunk.
Whether you need a hand-held vegetarian appetizer for game day, the perfect addition to Easter brunch, or a side dish to serve alongside fish or chicken during the week, baked asparagus fries fit the bill.
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 pound thick asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- Heat the oven to 425ºF.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper.
- Brush asparagus with 3 tablespoons mayonnaise mixture and roll in crumbs. Place asparagus on the baking pan.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned and asparagus are cooked.
- Serve asparagus with the remaining mayonnaise mixture.
- Serve leftover mayonnaise mixture on a sandwich, burger or fries.