Remember Mississippi Roast? Let me jog your memory. It’s a simple pot roast recipe that “broke” the Internet last winter. The buttery, melt-in-your mouth roast had everyone talking, even The New York Times. Here at Hamilton Beach, pot roast is king, so it’s safe to say we’re big fans. Lots of my coworkers make it for family and friends on a regular basis, and the Test Kitchen even developed a slow cooker version of Mississippi Chicken because we couldn’t get enough.
Anyway, enough about Mississippi Roast. I told you we were really big fans. There’s a new roast in recipe town and it takes a page out of Mississippi Roast’s book. Slow Cooker Chicago-Style Italian Beef is similar to Mississippi Roast in both ingredients and simplicity. Like Mississippi Roast, Italian Beef is made with some ingredients you likely already have on hand and is a dump-and-go recipe.
To make Chicago-Style Italian beef, combine giardiniera, tomatoes, beef broth, onion soup mix, Italian seasoning, and black pepper in the slow cooker crock. If you aren’t familiar, giardiniera is an Italian relish made up of pickled vegetables. Chicago-style giardiniera is usually on the spicy side and is made with hot peppers and red pepper flakes, but you can also find mild batches. Add beef roast to the crock and coat it with the sauce and pickled vegetable mixture. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 5 to 5 ½ hours or LOW for 8 to 9 hours until the roast is fully cooked and tender.
Remove the meat from the crock and shred it. While this beef would be delicious served on its own as a low-carb dinner, we wanted to turn this zesty meat into sandwiches suitable for gameday, parties, and cookouts.
Pile the shredded beef on crispy sub rolls then top it with provolone cheese and extra giardiniera. Add hot banana peppers for a little extra heat and prepare to be wowed. Although there are only a few ingredients in Slow Cooker Chicago-Style Italian Beef, the tangy pickled vegetables with the silky, buttery roast is a perfect match. Follow the Cubs lead and break the curse (of bland party food) with these sandwiches.
- 1 jar (25.5 ounces) hot giardiniera, drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery and onion
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 package (1 ounce) onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 3 to 4 pounds beef chuck roast
- 8 sandwich sub rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- In a slow cooker crock, combine giardiniera, tomatoes, beef broth, soup mix, Italian seasoning and black pepper. Add beef roast and turn to coat with sauce and vegetables.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 5 to 5 1/2 hours or LOW for 8 to 9 hours until meat is cooked and can be shredded.
- Remove meat to a cutting board. Shred meat with two forks.
- Remove fat from vegetables and sauce.
- Serve shredded beef in sandwich sub rolls with vegetables and cheese.