Salsa chicken is one of those go-to dishes that can be used in a variety of recipes throughout the week. Need an easy but flavorful chicken recipe to serve over rice for a quick lunch or dinner? Check. What about a simple taco filling that never disappoints during your weekly taco Tuesday celebration? Check.
If you already make salsa chicken at home you might simply pour your favorite store-bought, jarred salsa into the slow cooker with a few chicken breasts and call it a day (there’s no denying how delicious and easy that two-ingredient route is). But the Test Kitchen took our salsa chicken recipe to the next level by adding a few extra ingredients that help beef up dish.
Combine salsa, tomatoes, corn, black beans, green chiles, cilantro, salt, black pepper, and cumin in the slow cooker. Then add chicken breasts. Cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 ½ hours or LOW for 6 to 7 hours until the chicken is fully cooked.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, stir, and dinner is served.
We topped white rice (brown works, too!) with our salsa chicken to make a colorful rice bowl. We added shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado, and fresh cilantro, but you can easily customize this rice bowl with your family’s favorite toppings. Hot sauce, refried beans, or queso are always welcome. Save the leftovers and use to fill tacos, enchiladas, or burritos, as a protein add-on in a salad, or in a Mexican flavored lettuce wrap. Make salsa chicken over the weekend and use leftovers to help put lunch and dinner on the table throughout the week.
Want to see just how easy it is to make shredded chicken in your slow cooker? Watch the video below.
- 1 jar (24 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with diced green chilies
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 4 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken breast halves (about 6)
- Cooked white rice
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Sliced avocados
- Sour cream
- In a slow cooker crock, combine salsa, tomatoes, corn, black beans, green chilies, 1/4 cup cilantro, salt, cumin and black pepper. Add chicken breasts.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or LOW for 6 to 7 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts to a cutting board. Shred chicken, discarding skin and bones. Add shredded chicken to crock and stir to combine.
- Serve chicken mixture over rice. Top with cheese, avocado and sour cream. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.