Nothing says comfort quite like a big slice of warm apple pie – topped with a melty scoop of vanilla ice cream, of course. I enjoy apple pie no matter the season, but I tend to bake a lot more around the holidays. Whether I’m giving neighbors my signature pie as a homemade gift or crowding a dessert buffet with everything from cookies to brownies to pies, I’ll bake my fair share between now and Christmas Day.
Pie might be a staple on your holiday table, but why not switch things up a bit and make a cobbler? This slow cooker apple cranberry cobbler has all the flavors you crave, without the pie dish.
To make the cobbler filling we spiralized 6 granny smith apples. The Hamilton Beach® 3-in-1 Electric Spiralizer’s ribbon disc turns ripe apples into beautiful ribbons, adding something a little special and unexpected to your cobbler. If you don’t have a spiralizer you can certainly thinly slice the apples.
Combine the apple ribbons with dried cranberries, all purpose flour, sugar, and ground cinnamon in the slow cooker crock. Then, drop the cobbler topping dough on top of the apple mixture using a teaspoon or a small scoop. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 ½ to 3 hours or LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
Remove the slow cooker lid and let the cobbler stand for 15 minutes before serving – this allows the cobbler to cool and thicken a bit. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
We served this slow cooker apple cranberry cobbler with a mound of sweet whipped cream but you could certainly serve it just like your favorite apple pie – with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream. The apples get perfectly tender in the slow cooker and their sweetness is balanced by the tart, tangy cranberries. Save some room in your stove this holiday season and let the slow cooker help make this cobbler a new holiday dessert tradition.
- APPLE FILLING
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- COBBLER TOPPING
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a slow cooker crock combine all apple filling ingredients. Stir until apples are evenly coated.
- In a medium bowl, combine all cobbler topping ingredients. With a teaspoon or small scoop, drop dough on top of the apple mixture in the crock.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or LOW for 4 to 5 hours. Remove cover and let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Test Kitchen Tip: To save time cutting apples, use the ribbon cut of a spiralizer.