Breakfast casseroles are a great way to feed a crowd, whether it’s your large family or house guests over the weekend. Eggs, potatoes, bacon, cheese, tomatoes and more cheese – what’s not to like? If you need to feed a crowd , put this Spiralized Potato Breakfast Casserole on the table and watch it disappear.
Using your 3-in-1 Electric Spiralizer, spiralize about 2 pounds of baking potatoes. The spirals give this standard casserole a revamped appearance and texture. Microwave the potato spirals in a baking dish before adding the other ingredients. This helps the potatoes get a head start on cooking (they finish while the casserole bakes).
For your egg mixture, using a hand mixer, beat eggs, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper on medium speed. Then add grape tomatoes, cheddar cheese (or a combination of your favorite cheeses), green onion and bacon to the egg mixture and stir. We used pre-cooked bacon as a time-saver but if you have the time in the morning, a little bacon grease wouldn’t hurt this recipe. Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees.
Uncover the casserole and add remaining cheese and dot the top with grape tomatoes. Put it back in the oven to finish cooking for about 15 minutes and you’re ready to serve.
This casserole is a meal in itself, but you could serve it alongside fruit salad or extra pieces of bacon for an extra hearty breakfast. It serves twelve so make sure diners bring their appetites or save leftovers for breakfast throughout the week.
- 2 1/4 pounds baking potatoes
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package (2.5 ounces) precooked bacon, chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch microwave-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a spiralizer, make spirals of potatoes. Place potato spirals in water to keep from discoloring while spiralizing. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Add potato spirals to baking dish and cover.
- Microwave potatoes on HIGH until fork tender, about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl on medium speed, beat eggs, milk, sour cream, salt and coarse black pepper.
- Add 1 cup cheddar cheese, bacon, grape tomatoes and green onion to egg mixture. Stir until blended.
- Pour egg mixture over potatoes. Cover baking dish with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Uncover and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until mixture is firm and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes longer.