I’m definitely one of those people that prefers sweet potato fries to regular french fries, but when it comes to sweet potatoes, I really don’t cook them at home as much as I should. The 3-in-1 Spiralizer, and this delicious dish in particular, have changed that. The combination of sweet potatoes, sausage, and spinach is one that would be wonderfully seasonal during the fall months but can be enjoyed year-round.
Using the ribbon disc on your spiralizer, make sweet potato ribbons using two large sweet potatoes. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook hot Italian sausage (you could definitely use sweet Italian sausage if you prefer) until browned. Drain the excess sausage grease then stir in your sweet potato ribbons, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes for an added kick. Add chicken broth and cook for 8-10 minutes until the sweet potato ribbons are cooked through.
Finally, stir in spinach, freshly grated parmesan cheese (you can also grate the parmesan using the grating disc on the spiralizer), and fresh basil.
This dish is a winning mixture of savory flavors that comes together with ease in the Dutch oven. The sweet potato ribbons and the spinach make for a beautiful color combination that, when topped with spiralizer grated parmesan, creates a presentation that is sure to wow both friends and family members. Spiralizer sweet potato pasta with sausage and spinach can be found on my table throughout the year, especially when I am craving Italian flavors but am looking for a low-carb option.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground hot Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced
- Using a spiralizer, make ribbons of sweet potato; set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high, heat oil. Cook sausage until browned and no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in sweet potatoes ribbons, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add broth and cook 8 to 11 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Add spinach, Parmesan cheese and basil to Dutch oven. Toss mixture until well blended.
Add ribbons and spirals of colorful vegetables to your meals with this easy to use motorized slicer.