Tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh basil is one of those perfect combinations that happens to be even better in the summertime when tomatoes are red and ripe and basil is picked right from the garden. Usually, I lightly dress my caprese with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and call it a day. The Test Kitchen wanted to put a (literal) twist on this classic dish using the 3-in-1 Electric Spiralizer.
Using your spiralizer, spiralize 2 seedless cucumbers using the ribbon disc. Arrange the cucumber ribbons, red and yellow cherry tomatoes (or any garden-fresh, seasonal tomatoes you have on hand), and mozzarella balls on salad plates or in a serving dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then prepare your vinaigrette.
We used our single-serve blender to make our dressing – remember, blenders aren’t only meant for smoothies. In the blender, combine olive oil, white vinegar, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth then drizzle over your colorful caprese. We added yet another pop of color and summer flavor by sprinkling fresh basil to finish the dish.
The red and yellow tomatoes pop next to the soft green cucumber ribbons. The addition of mozzarella cheese takes care of the salt and creaminess you crave and the basil ties it all together into a perfect summer side dish. Serve as a side at a backyard barbecue or alongside grilled fish for a light, seasonal dinner on the patio.
- 2 medium seedless cucumbers
- 1 cup red cherry tomato halves
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomato halves
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls, halved
- Salt and coarse ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut in strips
- Using a spiralizer, make ribbons of the cucumber.
- Arrange cucumber ribbons, tomatoes and mozzarella on salad plates. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- To make vinaigrette, in a single-serve blender, add olive oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Blend until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Drizzle salads with vinaigrette and sprinkle with basil.