Leave the oven off this summer and let the slow cooker do your baking.
Cobblers are one of the season’s sweetest indulgences. Whether you prefer using fresh peaches, blueberries, or strawberries, cobblers are an easy (made even easier by using the slow cooker), crowd-pleasing dessert.
Spray your slow cooker crock with nonstick spray then add four cups of blueberries, ¼ cup of sugar, cornstarch, and orange zest and mix together. The orange zest complements the sweet blueberries with a hint of citrus.
In a medium bowl, mix together the topping for your cobbler. Combine flour, oatmeal, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Gradually stir in orange juice, milk, and melted butter until the mixture thickens, then spoon over the berries. Cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 3 hours until the topping has baked.
We sprinkled powdered sugar over the cobbler before serving to add additional sweetness and color. And what’s cobbler without a huge scoop (or two) of ice cream on top? The cold, sweet vanilla ice cream paired with the tangy blueberries and sweet, biscuit-like topping is a combination that just can’t be beat. Grab a big bowl and an even bigger spoon and enjoy one of summer’s best comfort foods.
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar
- Spray a slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray. Add blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and orange zest to crock. Toss until evenly coated.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, remaining sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Gradually stir in orange juice, milk and butter. Spoon over berry mixture in crock.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 3 hours. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
For the cook who is busy all day but wants a home-cooked dinner at night, a slow cooker is the answer. And with the Set & Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker, technology takes a big leap forward from the outdated slow cookers found in yesterday’s kitchens.
Other summer dessert recipes from the Test Kitchen: