What better way to celebrate Mother’s Day and the peak of rhubarb season than with a deliciously delicate cake? Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake is sure to steal the show this Mother’s Day.
The moist, airy cake is decorated with pieces of strawberry and rhubarb. They turn the top of the cake a beautiful pink color and it’s not too sweet – it’s just right.
When we tasted it for the first time, the cake was still warm – right out of the oven – and it was divine. You could either serve this cake warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top or (if you can wait) serve room temperature and sift powdered sugar on top to make it even more appealing to the eye. I would gladly cut myself a slice the next morning to enjoy with my coffee, but it’s highly unlikely there will be leftovers.
Show mom just how much you care by whipping up this Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake and serving it right after Mother’s Day brunch or dinner. Happy Mother’s Day!
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 pound rhubarb, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup hulled and halved strawberries
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325°F. Spray an 8-inch round pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in oven, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup sugar over butter. Stir until well blended. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add strawberries uncut side down and rhubarb to pan.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until blended.
- Using a hand mixer on medium speed, beat in remaining 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, milk, lemon juice and zest and vanilla extract until blended, about 2 minutes.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on cooling rack. Invert onto serving plate.
More strawberry recipes from our kitchen: