In the dead of winter, there is nothing more comforting than coming home to a steaming bowl of chili. Instead of combining ground beef with a typical thick, tomato base, this white chicken and corn chili is a healthier, lighter take on a winter classic.
Mashing white kidney beans with a fork before adding them to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients adds texture and heartiness to this trimmed-down chili. The boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a healthy, lean protein that won’t leave you missing the ground chuck. While this chili cuts corners in the calorie department, it sure doesn’t skimp on flavor – jalapeños and a bit of cayenne pepper add just the right amount of kick.
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top (even slimmed-down chili needs cheese), serve with your favorite tortilla chips, find the fuzziest blanket, and enjoy the perfect accompaniment to a frigid winter night.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, minced
- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Mash 1/2 cup of cannellini beans with fork.
- Place all ingredients (except cheese) including mashed beans in slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese before serving.