This pasta bake combines ground turkey and staple ingredients of a mediterranean diet into one hearty, healthy meal.
Cook ground turkey in a skillet until it’s golden brown. Add onions and garlic, then mix with diced tomatoes, cannellini beans, olives, chopped kale and whole wheat pasta. Stir together and pour the mixture into a baking or casserole dish. Sprinkle with feta cheese and bake.
If you’re a fan of Greek pizza or if you’re trying to eat a little healthier in the new year, this mediterranean inspired pasta bake is a must try. The colorful bake makes for a great lunch or dinner option, and kids won’t even notice it’s good for them. It will surely feed a crowd or if you’re cooking for a smaller group, you will have plenty of leftovers for the week.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) cannellini beans, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
- 1 package (13.25 ounces) whole wheat rotini
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat olive oil. Add the turkey. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet, place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to skillet and return to medium-high. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and add to turkey in bowl. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, olives, kale, Italian seasoning and salt. Stir well.
- Meanwhile, follow package directions for cooking pasta 6 minutes. Drain and add to turkey mixture. Mix well and pour into baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until pasta is almost tender. Sprinkle with cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes.