Halloween has traditionally been chili night in my family. Typically there are a few last minute mishaps trying to get costumes to fit, so a chili simmering in the slow cooker is the only part of my day that’s not scary. I know my kids are going to consume way too much sugar, so I prepare this slow cooker chili ahead of time and fill them up before they head out on their door-to-door adventures.
This all-American chili uses beef chuck roast and Italian sausage to give it a robust flavor that will warm up your witches and warlocks before the haunting begins. You probably have most of the ingredients in the pantry already, taking the trick out of this dinner treat.
- 3/4 pound boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 can (14 oz.) kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (14 oz.) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef and sausage.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic; stir until onions are tender.
- Drain; add to crock.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until well blended.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on LOW 8 to 10 hours.
More recipes from our Test Kitchen