This protein-packed slow cooker stew is the perfect autumn meal. Our recipe takes 6-7 hours on LOW, so you can get your prep work done in the morning and have a comforting dinner on the table when the kids get home from their after school activities.
Smoked sausage, white beans and slow cooked chicken make for a flavorful soup, especially with the addition of Italian herbs and spices. We also include chopped kale in this recipe for healthy vitamins and nutrients.
It’s easy to sauté the onion, celery, carrots and garlic in the stovetop safe crock. Then, just add broth and whisk in flour until thickened. The remaining ingredients (except the kale) can be added to the crock while on the stovetop. Bring the entire mixture to a boil, cover and transfer to the slow cooker base.
When it’s time to eat, mix in the kale and ladle the stew into bowls. Any leftovers will make a hearty lunch the following day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped kale
- In stovetop-safe slow cooker cookware over medium-high, heat oil. Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Cook until onions are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir flour into carrot mixture until well blended. Gradually add broth and cook until mixture is thickened.
- Add chicken, sausage, beans, tomatoes, oregano, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Place cookware on base and cover. Cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or LOW for 6 to 7 hours.
- Stir in kale and cook an additional 20 to 30 minutes. Using two forks, shred chicken into large chunks just before serving.
- TEST KITCHEN TIP: If using a slow cooker with a ceramic crock, follow Steps 1 through 3 using a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Transfer ingredients to slow cooker crock for Step 4 and cook as directed.