This simple, seasonal recipe is made in the slow cooker, so hands-on time is minimal, making the extra effort for homemade apple compote worth it for the superior flavor and texture over storebought. Tart apples such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Macintosh hold up well in this preparation.
As a dessert, serve the healthy compote warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and crisp gingersnap cookies. Or, if you are feeling especially creative, skip the embellishments and serve the sweet apples over savory pork chops. Either way, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 6 Granny Smith apples, cored, cut in large chunks
- 2 (4-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Gingersnap cookies
- Place all ingredients except cookies in slow cooker crock and stir to combine.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- Stir and remove cinnamon sticks.
- Serve warm with gingersnap cookies.
Stay or Go® Slow Cookers offer you all the advantages of easy, no-watch cooking with the added benefit of worry-free travel. They’re equipped to protect food en route to parties and potlucks anytime you want. Once you’re back home, the stoneware insert removes for easy cleanup in the dishwasher.