Summer fruits at their peak, and peaches are one of my absolute favorites. There’s something about biting into a juicy, ripe peach that brings to mind carefree summer fun, when it doesn’t matter so much if you get a little messy.
I still love eating fresh peaches, but I love peaches in other ways my family can enjoy, too. Peach cobbler combines the perfect sweetness of dessert pastry crust with that summer flavor I love. A hint of ginger and lemon add a little hidden zing.
This cobbler is really easy to make. For the filling, toss together sliced fresh peaches, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and ginger until the cornstarch is dissolved and the peaches are coated. This will help the cobbler mixture thicken as it cooks, so it develops that signature syrupy coating over the fruit.
The fruit mixture is topped with the pastry mix – a blend of flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, salt, butter and milk – which creates a biscuity crust you’ll want to use to scoop up all the peaches. It can bake in a regular oven, or if you have a toaster oven, use it to keep the kitchen from overheating in the pit of summer. (Get it? Pit?) Top it with some vanilla ice cream while it’s warm, so you can get a little warm peach cobbler and cool ice cream in each bite.
- 8 medium fresh peaches, peeled and sliced or 5 cups defrosted frozen peach slices
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, stir peaches, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and ginger until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Pour peach mixture into a 8 x 8 x 2-inch (or equivalent) baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt.
- Gradually stir in butter and milk. Spoon over peaches.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until peaches are tender and top is golden brown.
Say hello to easy access and goodbye to hard-to-reach pizza and toast. Small enough to fit on your counter, but large enough to fit a 9” x 11” bake pan, 6 slices of toast or a 12-inch pizza, the Hamilton Beach® Easy-Reach™ Convection Oven has an innovative roll-top door to increase workspace, visibility, and access to the oven.
Other summer desserts you should try: