Chicken parmesan is an Italian classic that can be served in many different ways. Whether on its own with a vegetable side, over spaghetti noodles or on a hoagie roll, it’s sure to be tasty. Our recipe below makes perfectly crispy, pan fried chicken cutlets which are then topped with fresh mozzarella cheese and placed under the broiler for five minutes. Once the cheese is melted and gooey, it’s topped with homemade slow cooker marinara sauce and freshly chopped basil, which adds a pop of freshness to the plate.
This crispy chicken parm feels like it was made by grandma, so it’s comforting and the whole family will love it. It’s great for a chilly spring day or when you miss the taste of home. Serve it with a side of angel hair or spaghetti pasta or by itself on a sandwich or sub roll. It will remind you of your favorite Italian restaurant, but you’ll appreciate how quick and easy it was to prepare this delicious meal at home.
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 package (1 lb.) thin sliced chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce
- 8 ounces fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Place bread crumbs, flour, Parmesan cheese and garlic in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal and shake to combine.
- In a large bowl, beat egg and milk. Dip chicken in egg mixture. Let excess drip back into bowl, then place in bag with crumbs.
- Shake two pieces of chicken at a time in bag until coated. Remove from bag and place on a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken until all pieces are coated.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken a few pieces at a time until golden brown, turning once, about 4 minutes. Place cooked chicken in baking pan.
- Heat Broiler on HIGH.
- Spoon marinara sauce over chicken pieces. Top with Mozzarella cheese slices.
- Broil 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve Chicken Parmesan over your favorite pasta or on a sub roll.
For the cook who is busy all day but wants a home-cooked dinner at night, a slow cooker is the answer. And with the Set & Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker, technology takes a big leap forward from the outdated slow cookers found in yesterday’s kitchens.