On a cold day in the middle of winter, nothing hits the spot quite like a big bowl of soup. If you’re looking to change up your soup routine, this Szechuan style Chinese pork stew is remarkably easy in the slow cooker. There’s just something about the sweetness of soy and brown sugar mixed with the sour, salty and spicy flavors in the other ingredients that makes me feel warmed from the inside out.
You probably have many ingredients in your pantry already. Once the ingredients for this slow cooker stew go in the crock, it’s hands off until serving time.
The broth is flavored with soy, chili sauce, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, star anise, orange peel, chili pepper and ginger, giving it tons of flavor and intense aromatics. Then, you just add fresh vegetables like bok choy, onions and cabbage. As it cooks, the flavors meld with the pork and create a flavorful, satisfying stew no one can resist.
Serve the Chinese pork stew straight from the slow cooker crock. Offer up extra sriracha sauce, red pepper flakes, limes and cilantro for garnishing and an extra burst of bright flavor. This filling soup will definitely get you out of a chicken noodle rut, but won’t make you work too hard for it. The next time you need to satisfy a cold-weather craving, whip out the slow cooker and try this unique pork stew instead.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 stalks bok choy, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced Chinese cabbage
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Sriracha hot chili sauce, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 star anise
- 4 (3-inch) pieces orange peel
- 2 dried chili red pepper
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add half of the pork. Cook until browned on all sides. Repeat with remaining pork. Place browned pork in slow cooker crock.
- Stir in leeks, onion, garlic, carrots, cabbage, chicken broth, soy sauce, Sriracha, hoisin, brown sugar, anise, orange peel, chili pepper and ginger to crock.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or LOW for 8 to 8 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove anise, orange peel and chili peppers before serving. Stir in bok choy. Serve with Sriracha sauce and limes.
For the cook who is busy all day but wants a home-cooked dinner at night, a slow cooker is the answer. And with the Set &
Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker, technology takes a big leap forward from the outdated slow cookers found in yesterday’s kitchens.
More slow cooker recipes to try: