We love the flavor combinations of classic meatloaf, but it can be a hassle to put together, especially on a weeknight. And despite how easy it seems, meatloaf tends to dry out when you bake it in the oven. Believe it or not, the slow cooker is an ideal way to make classic meatloaf.
This cooking method locks in moisture so dry meatloaf will be a thing of the past. Prepare everything in advance, then place the entire crock in the fridge until morning. When you leave for the day, place the crock in the slow cooker, set the timer and come home later to a perfectly cooked, moist and delicious meal.
- 2 pounds ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup crushed buttery crackers
- 1/2 cup ketchup, divided
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, onion, eggs, cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup ketchup, milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Line the slow cooker crock with nonstick aluminum foil.
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place in foil-lined slow cooker crock.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Spread over top of meatloaf.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or LOW for 4 to 5 hours. If using a slow cooker with a probe, cook until meatloaf reaches 160°F.
Hamilton Beach® Slow Cookers take the convenience of slow-cooked dishes a giant step further. Several models of slow cookers, such as the Stay or Go® Slow Cooker, address one of your greatest concerns—getting your finished dish to a potluck or party without messy spills.