This savory breakfast casserole is made like a strata. You add all the ingredients and let it meld overnight. The bread soaks and the sausage infuses it’s flavor into the other ingredients. In the morning, you just place the slow cooker crock into the base and let it cook, creating a succulent dish perfect for a family or a crowd.
We used the Hamilton Beach® Professional Sous Vide & 6 Quart Slow Cooker for this recipe. The non-stick, rectangular insert closely resembles a standard casserole dish. So no transferring out of the crock before serving necessary.
This overnight breakfast casserole is the perfect dish to serve out-of-town guests or extended family over the holiday season. Just cook the casserole in your slow cooker, and serve directly from the crock – making cleanup a breeze. Serve it with a piping hot cup of coffee and some seasonal fruit for a perfect start to the morning.
- 1 pound ground pork sausage, hot flavor
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 slices hearty white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- Place sausage in stovetop-safe cookware or large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until browned.
- Add red peppers and onions. Cook until crisp-tender. Drain fat. Reserve half of sausage mixture. Arrange remaining mixture in an even layer.
- Add bread cubes and half of cheese in even layer over sausage mixture in stove-top cookware.
- Top with remaining sausage mixture and cheese.
- Combine beaten eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, black pepper and hot pepper sauce in a large bowl. Whisk until well blended. Pour over layers in stove-top cookware. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place covered stovetop-safe cookware in base.
- Cook on HIGH 2 to 2 1/2 hours or LOW 4 to 6 hours until mixture is thoroughly cooked.