Nothing says comfort food quite like pot pie. While most of us are accustomed to putting chicken pot pie on the table, the Test Kitchen thought pot roast would make the perfect protein substitute in this savory pie – and they were right.
Make slow cooker pot roast over the weekend and save the meat, vegetables, and broth to use in a variety of recipes, including this one, throughout the week. Plan to cook most of the ingredients ahead of time and put together a beautiful family dinner in no time at all.
Having the beef, vegetables, and broth waiting in the refrigerator is a significant time saver and makes assembling this pot roast pot pie a no brainer. Really all there’s left to do is make the gravy (in my humble opinion, the best part of a pot pie).
In a Dutch oven over medium high heat, melt fat from the beef broth. Add flour and whisk until the mixture is smooth, then add salt, pepper, and thyme. Stir the mixture constantly for about 5 minutes until the mixture turns a medium brown color. Slowly add beef broth and cook until it’s a thick, rich gravy.
Next, add your pre-made pot roast and vegetables, frozen peas, and celery. Top the Dutch oven with a pie crust (we used frozen, another helpful time saver) and your hearty pie is ready for the the oven.
Your family will never know how little effort dinner took when they taste this pot roast pot pie. Plan ahead and you can put a beautiful, stick-to-your-bones meal on the table any night of the week.
- 1/3 cup butter or reserved fat from pot roast (Link to Slow Cooker Pot Roast)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked diced potatoes, carrots and onions or reserved vegetables from pot roast (Link to Slow Cooker Pot Roast)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups shredded cooked beef
- 1 prepared pie crust
- Heat oven to 450°F. Spray a 2-quart round casserole or 10x8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Add salt, thyme and black pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until mixture turns medium brown.
- Slowly add beef broth and cook until thickened.
- Stir in vegetables and beef. Transfer to prepared casserole. Top with pie crust. Fold under excess crust and crimp edge. Prick with a fork.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is brown.
- If using the 10x8-inch baking pan, roll pie crust with a rolling pin to increase lengthwise. For easy meal planning, prepare a large pot roast in a slow cooker. Use cooked vegetables, broth and fat for pot pie. Reserve remaining shredded beef for other meals.