You can never have too many soup recipes. Whether you need to make a big batch to enjoy while you’re cooped up in the house on a snow day or to serve as a light lunch with your favorite crusty baguette and a colorful salad, you can never go wrong with a simple soup.
Broccoli cheddar soup is one of my all time favorites. It’s cheesy and creamy but has enough broccoli to make me feel like I’m getting my veggies in for the day (even if those veggies are swimming in an ocean of cheesy goodness).
This broccoli cheese soup is no-fail – the slow cooker does all the work for you – and there’s minimal prep. In the slow cooker crock, combine chicken or vegetable broth (we used our homemade chicken stock), broccoli florets, onion, carrots, garlic powder, white pepper, and crushed red pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 to 5 ½ hours or LOW for 10 to 11 hours.
When those ingredients are done cooking your broccoli cheddar soup is almost ready. It’s just missing one very important ingredient – the cheese. Stir in the cheeses, plural, in this case. We used three different kinds in this recipe. Once the cheese is fully melted, you are ready to serve.
Want a slightly thicker soup? Before adding the cheese(s), put 3 cups of soup in a blender and puree. Stir pureed mixture into the slow cooker crock with the cheeses until the cheeses are melted.
We ladled slow cooker broccoli cheese soup into crunchy bread bowls and saved extra for dunking. After all, the best part about soup is it’s dunkable counterpart. Top with cracked black pepper and extra cheese and enjoy this simple but flavorful soup that’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 packages (1 pound each) frozen broccoli florets
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) pasteurized processed cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a slow cooker crock, combine broth, broccoli, onion, carrots, garlic powder, white pepper and dried crushed red pepper.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 5 to 5 1/2 hours or LOW for 10 to 11 hours.
- Stir cheeses into broth mixture until the cheese is melted.
- Test Kitchen Tip: For a slightly thicker soup, before adding the cheeses, remove 3 cups of soup to a blender. Cover blender and puree. Stir pureed mixture into crock with the cheeses until the cheeses are melted.
For the cook who is busy all day but wants a home-cooked dinner at night, a slow cooker is the answer. And with the Set & Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker, you can set it and forget it® with cooking modes featuring automatic keep warm.