Every year on the fourth Thursday of November we gather around the table with family and friends to give thanks and share a delicious meal (it’s admittedly my favorite meal of the year). At the center of this delicious meal is the star of the show – the turkey.
We all know the drill. You set your alarm to a cringe-worthy time Thanksgiving morning and crawl out of bed to put the bird in the oven. Then the day becomes a nail-biting, clock-watching game to make sure you don’t under or overcook the precious Thanksgiving centerpiece. Not even the most organized person can escape this turkey-induced anxiety.
Wouldn’t it be nice to take something (by something I mean stress) off your plate, and make room for more stuffing and broccoli casserole? The Hamilton Beach® Professional Sous Vide & 6QT Slow Cooker can do just that.
Thankfully, there is no need to worry about over or undercooking the bird this Thanksgiving. Cooking your turkey breasts sous vide is a no-fail method to ensure you are putting juicy, tender meat on the table. Once the desired internal temperature is met (in this case 145 degrees), the temperature doesn’t fluctuate, meaning you can finish setting the table, making the gravy, or getting the kids dressed and the turkey won’t overcook. Is that a sigh of relief I hear?
To achieve that crispy skin you’d get cooking your turkey in the oven, remove the turkey breasts from their bags after they are finished cooking, pat them dry, and broil for 5 minutes until the skin is browned. Now the turkey is ready to be sliced and served.
Let dry, gravy-smothered turkey be the ghost of Thanksgiving past and give thanks to moist, sous vide turkey.
- ORANGE-ROSEMARY BUTTER
- 1/4 unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Zest of 1 navel orange
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (5 to 6-pound) turkey breast, deboned and halved or 2 boneless
- turkey breast halves (1 1/2 to 2 pounds each), skin on
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Select sous vide mode and set temperature to 145°F and time for 2 1/2 hours..
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients for the orange-rosemary butter.
- Gently separate skin from turkey breasts, leaving one side of skin attached to the breast, and sprinkle all over with kosher salt.
- Rub orange-rosemary butter on turkey under and on top of the skin.
- Place each turkey breast half in a sous vide-safe bag and add rosemary sprig. Vacuum tightly and seal.
- When water reaches set temperature, add turkey to the water bath and press start.
- When cooking time has ended, remove bags from water bath and open.
- Pat the turkey breasts dry with paper towels.
- Heat a broiler on high and broil turkey breasts, skin side up, until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Slice turkey breasts and serve while hot.