Incorporating beets is a great way to add a pop of color (and not to mention nutrients) to any dish. Spiralize them into ribbons and they are that much more beautiful. If you’re used to roasting or juicing beets, this salad is a great way to mix things up. Skip the sheet pan tonight and start spiralizing.
Using the 3-in-1 Electric Spiralizer, spiralize 6 beets into ribbons using the ribbon disc. Then boil the beets in a large saucepan and cook them for about 1 or 2 minutes, until they are tender. Remove the beets from the saucepan and chill them in an ice bath, then drain and dry the beets with paper towels.
Arrange fresh greens (you could use spinach, arugula or your favorite lettuce), beet ribbons, and orange segments on a salad plate and top with crumbled goat cheese and toasted walnuts for an added crunch.
Top your colorful salad with a citrusy vinaigrette. Blend orange juice, vegetable oil, rice vinegar, honey, thyme, salt and pepper in no time in your personal blender. Dress your salad and you’re ready to eat.
There are few better combinations than beets and goat cheese, but if you’re not a fan of goat cheese, top this salad with crumbled feta instead. The soft, salty cheese complements the earthiness of the beets while the citrus slices and zesty dressing add sweetness. This salad would make a nice side to your favorite protein or can be served by itself as a hearty lunch.
- 2 pounds fresh beets (about 6 medium), peeled
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Salad greens
- 2 medium oranges, sectioned
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Using a spiralizer, make ribbons of beets. Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full of water and 2 teaspoons salt. Over high heat, boil water. Add beet ribbons and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Chill in an ice bath. Drain and dry ribbons with paper towels.
- To make dressing, in a single-serve blender, add orange juice, oil, vinegar, honey, thyme leaves, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and coarse black pepper. Blend until slightly thickened.
- On a salad plate, arrange fresh greens, beets and orange segments. Top with goat cheese and toasted walnuts.