When I’m feeling lazy and craving takeout, Thai food is usually my go-to. While ordering takeout is a habit I know many people can’t shake, with just a little prep and help from your slow cooker, you can have a delicious homemade Thai curry ready for you when you get home, without paying a delivery fee.
In the slow cooker crock, stir coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, sugar, salt, and crushed red pepper. Add chicken, garlic, carrots, onion and ginger to the coconut milk mixture and stir until the chicken and vegetables are coated. Cook on HIGH for 2 ½ hours or LOW for 4 hours.
Add sliced bell pepper and bok choy to the crock and finish cooking on HIGH for an additional 30 minutes or on LOW for another hour. Stir in basil, cilantro and lime juice and shred the chicken before serving.
Serve this Coconut Thai Curry Chicken over cooked rice (jasmine or basmati would be delicious) with a little extra basil (or Thai basil, if it’s available in your local market) and maybe even some sriracha if you like your Thai food hot and prepare to rethink your addiction to the neighborhood Thai restaurant. And the best part? Not only are you able to control the ingredients and the salt in the dish, you’re saving a little cash.
- 1 can (14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 1 piece (1-inch) ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup sliced bok choy
- 1/2 cup sliced basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cooked rice
- In a slow cooker crock, stir coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, sugar, salt and dried crushed red pepper.
- Add chicken, garlic, carrots, onion and ginger to coconut milk mixture. Stir until chicken and vegetables are coated.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours or LOW for 4 hours.
- Add red pepper and bok choy to crock. Cover and cook on HIGH an additional 30 minutes or LOW for 1 hour.
- Stir in basil, cilantro and lime juice before serving.
- Shred chicken before serving. Serve over cooked rice.