Eating tomatoes that actually taste like tomatoes is one of summer’s best luxuries. I try to incorporate tomatoes into my summer diet as much as I can – using ripe tomatoes in everything from BLTs to caprese salads to tomato pies. There’s really nothing better.
These Italian stuffed tomatoes are another great way to incorporate ripe tomatoes into your summer menus. Whether you eat them for a light lunch or dinner, these tomatoes are fresh and filling.
Take 4 large tomatoes and cut the top off each and scoop the centers out, saving the insides. Place the hollowed tomatoes on a toaster oven tray that’s been lightly coated with nonstick spray (you could also use a cookie sheet and bake them in your oven).
Now your tomatoes are ready for their filling. Chop 3 tomatoes and add them to a large bowl. Then add shredded chicken, shredded mozzarella, rice, onion, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and mix together. Divide the mixture between the four tomatoes and top with a little extra mozzarella and the tomato tops. Easily make a vegetarian version of this dish by omitting the shredded chicken.
Bake the tomatoes for about 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees, until the cheese is melted and the mixture is heated through. Garnish the tomatoes with a little fresh basil (nothing goes better with fresh tomatoes than fresh basil) and you’re ready to serve.
We served our stuffed tomatoes on a bed of arugula for a light summer lunch but you could easily serve these as a summer side dish or alongside a large salad for a veggie-packed dinner.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 cup pre-cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 2 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Heat toaster oven to 350⁰F. Spray toaster oven pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut the top off each tomato and scoop centers out. Place bottoms on prepared pan. Chop 3 tomatoes (about 1 1/2 cup, chopped) and add to large bowl.
- Add shredded chicken, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, rice, onion, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to large bowl and stir until blended. Divide between tomatoes, about 1 cup per tomato. Top with remaining mozzarella and tomato top.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through.
- Garnish with basil before serving.