We decided to combine two of summer’s best desserts – cobbler and ice cream – into one mind-blowingly fantastic recipe. While I love a hot cobbler loaded with fresh berries, nothing quite says summer like enjoying an ice cream cone on a 80 degree night. Combining the two leaves you with the best of both worlds – and we mean the BEST.
Skip the ice cream parlor and make your own ice cream. It’s way less complicated than you’d think, especially when you have an ice cream maker at home. We used the 4 Quart Collapsible Ice Cream Maker for this recipe.
A simple mixture of fresh blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, half and half, and heavy cream makes up this delicious ice cream. And the best part? You know those yummy spice cookies you sometimes get on airplanes? Yep, the Test Kitchen decided to add those to the mixture – and sprinkle even more on top.
Not to toot our own horn, but… the Test Kitchen deserves a standing ovation for this one. The combination of fresh, tangy blueberries and the spicy, crunchy cookies is reminiscent of classic cobbler flavors and will have you craving scoop after scoop. If you thought you had your favorite ice cream flavor set in stone, think again.
The bright purple ice cream disappeared at our tasting panel and we guarantee it will disappear from your bowl or cone in record time. Do yourself a favor and make this ice cream. It’s sure to become a new summer tradition.
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 10 crispy European spice cookies (we used Biscoff Cookies), chopped
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring blueberries, sugar and lemon juice to a boil and cook until sugar is dissolved and blueberries start to pop.
- Remove from heat and stir in half and half and heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Pour blueberry mixture into ice cream canister. Follow directions for your ice cream maker to freeze mixture.
- Stir in chopped cookies. Serve immediately as soft serve or pour into a freezer container and store in freezer.