What says summer like no-hassle dinners served with a cocktail? We want to enjoy as much time outside as possible now that the weather is warm and the sun is out. Leave the stove off, step away from the grill, and let the slow cooker do all the work for you tonight.
These Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos have summer written all over them. The Boston butt or pork shoulder covered in a dry rub mixture of smoked paprika, oregano, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper cooks on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 8 to 10 hours. When the meat is done, shred it and you’re ready to fill your tortillas.
We wanted to brighten these tacos up a bit and thought a pickled slaw would complement the juicy, spicy pork perfectly. Prep this Spiralizer Pickled Radish Slaw the night before so it’s ready and waiting to garnish your tacos when you get home. Spiralize radishes, carrots, and jicama. Then mix the spirals with white vinegar, water, sugar, salt and roasted red pepper flakes for a little kick. Cover the mixture and refrigerate overnight.
Top your tacos with pickled slaw, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and a dollop of sour cream, mix yourself a margarita and welcome summer. The leftovers (if you’re lucky enough to have any) will be even better the next day in more tacos, enchiladas or atop a rice bowl.
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 5 to 7 pounds Boston butt or pork shoulder, preferably boneless, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 to 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Toppings: salsa, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, oregano, coriander, cumin, red pepper, salt and black pepper. Rub mixture over all sides of pork pieces. Spread onion in an even layer in bottom of a slow cooker crock. Place seasoned pork on top of onions.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- Shred pork with fork and serve in flour tortillas with toppings.
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 10 to 12 large radishes
- 4 (2-inch) cubes peeled jicama
- 1 large thick carrot, peeled
- In a medium bowl, stir vinegar, water, sugar, salt, ginger and red pepper until sugar dissolves.
- Using a spiralizer, make spirals of radishes, jicama and carrot to yield 2 cups of radishes, 1 cup each of jicama and carrot. Add vegetable spirals to vinegar mixture. Reserve any remaining vegetable spirals for another use.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.