Do you know anyone that can resist a cinnamon roll? The sweet, ooey, gooey treats are always a crowd pleaser, no matter the occasion. These Slow Cooker Overnight Cinnamon Rolls are prepped the night before and baked in the slow cooker the next day for an easy breakfast.
To cut down on prep time and cleanup, we used store-bought frozen bread dough. After the dough thaws out in the refrigerator, roll it into a 10-inch by 16-inch rectangle. Then spread butter from edge to edge and sprinkle your cinnamon sugar mixture over the buttered dough.
Once the dough is covered in butter and cinnamon sugar, roll it and cut evenly into 12 pieces. Line the slow cooker with two pieces of parchment paper. The Test Kitchen found that criss-crossing two pieces – instead of using one large sheet – made the stiff paper fit better in the crock. Lining the crock with parchment paper makes it so much easier to lift the cinnamon rolls up and out of the slow cooker before serving.
Cover the crock and refrigerate overnight. The rolls will rise overnight and be ready to bake in the morning. Cook the cinnamon rolls on HIGH for 2 to 2 ½ hours or or LOW for 4 to 4 ½ hours.
Ice the rolls and you’re ready to eat! If your family members aren’t afraid to get sticky, dig right in and treat these like pull-apart rolls. You could also slice and serve with a piping cup of coffee and the morning newspaper. Just make sure there are plenty of napkins to go around.
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Spray the inside of a recloseable zipper bag with nonstick spray. Place frozen bread loaf in bag. Thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- On a lightly floured board, roll dough out to a 10 x 16-inch rectangle. If dough springs back when rolling, let dough rest 5 minutes and roll again.
- Spread butter over dough up to 1/2-inch from edges. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over buttered dough.
- Beginning with 16-inch side, roll tightly in jelly-roll fashion. Pinch long edge closed. Cut the dough evenly into 12 pieces.
- Line the slow cooker crock with two strips of parchment paper, crisscrossed in center. Arrange cinnamon rolls in crock. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place crock with cinnamon rolls in slow cooker base and cook on HIGH for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or LOW for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
- Use parchment paper to lift rolls from crock. Let cool slightly, then ice.
- Icing: In a medium bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt. With an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Spread over warm rolls.
Want to take your slow cooker to the next level? The Set ‘n Forget Programmable 6-Quart Slow Cooker has three choices for easy, automatic cooking: program, probe and manual mode.