You usually see Chicken Piccata included on menus at Italian restaurants, but the succulent dish is also easy to make at home. We make this version in the slow cooker, which leaves you with juicy chicken and easy cleanup.
Combine flour, salt and pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Add a few chicken breasts at a time and shake, making sure each piece is fully covered with the flour mixture. After your chicken is coated, brown it in a large skillet skin-side down.
After the chicken is browned, place in the slow cooker skin-side up. Pour wine, capers, lemon juice, and chicken broth over the chicken. The capers and the lemon juice work together to add a tart bite to the broth. Keep in the slow cooker until the chicken is fully cooked through, about 4 hours on LOW or 2 hours on HIGH.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the slow cooker and transfer the remaining liquid into a skillet and stir in cornstarch. This thickens the sauce as it simmers. Top the chicken with the sauce, garnish with lemons slices and impress your family or guests with this classic Italian dish. Trust us, it’s molto bene.
Test Kitchen Tip: If you have a slow cooker with stovetop-safe cookware, substitute the cookware for the large skillet in the directions above. After browning chicken breasts, place cookware in slow cooker base, cover and cook as directed in recipe.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 1/2 to 5 pounds chicken breasts with bone and skin on
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Lemon slices
- In a large resealable plastic bag, add flour, salt and pepper. Seal and shake. Shake a few pieces of chicken in bag at a time to coat with flour mixture; set aside. Repeat with remaining breasts.
- In a large skillet over medium, melt butter. Add chicken and sear skin-side-down, cooking about 4 minutes until skin is golden brown. Place chicken skin-side-up in slow cooker crock.
- Pour wine, lemon juice, broth and capers over chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter. Cover with foil and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, stir water and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Transfer liquid from crock to a medium skillet. Stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Place skillet over medium-heat. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Garnish with lemon slices.