Put a new twist on sugar cookies this year by taking a different route when it comes to frosting them. Nothing says Christmas like candy canes, with their bright red and white stripes, and their cool, peppermint flavor. And sugar cookies are the perfect treat to leave for Santa. So let’s blend the two and create a new tradition easy enough for the whole family to take part in.
This combination of flavors is a gift in itself. Start with our Best-Ever Sugar Cookie recipe. With its slight hint of vanilla and nutmeg, it could easily stand alone. But there’s nothing jolly about a plain cookie during the holidays so we recommend spreading cream cheese frosting on top and sprinkling with crushed candy canes. Voila! Each bite is peppermint bliss.
This fun and festive treat is perfect for family or you can pop some in a decorative tin for an easy gift for a teacher or the neighbors next door. It’s sure to add a bit of joy to the season.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Crushed candy canes
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl with electric mixer on HIGH speed, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to lowest setting. Add sugar, egg, and vanilla, mixing thoroughly. Gradually add dry ingredients and milk; continue mixing until thoroughly blended.
- Form cookie dough into 1 1/2-inch (2.5 cm) diameter balls and arrange balls on ungreased baking sheets.
- Flatten balls slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Bake in oven for 6 to 7 minutes or until lightly golden around edges. Cool on wire racks.
- In a large mixer bowl on MEDIUM speed, beat cream cheese and vanilla until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until creamy and smooth.
- Spread on cookies and sprinkle with candy.