Now that fall has settled in with cooler temperatures and less hours of sunlight, many of us turn to good books, cozy fireplaces and hearty food for comfort. Stews, pot roast, and soups are great, but if you want an easy meal with a little kick to it, we recommend trying our recipe for Slow Cooker Mole Enchilada Casserole. It’s perfect for dinner or to serve when having friends over for a football game.
A mixture of black beans and ground beef, combined with sautéed peppers, onions and garlic blend to give this dish a hearty base. Beef broth and mole are also added for richness and a kick. But the beauty of this dish is in the layering.
Corn tortillas, sliced into 1 inch strips, line the bottom of the crock, followed by the beef and bean mixture. This is topped with delicious queso fresco and sour cream. Repeat this process, starting with the tortillas, followed by the beef and beans and queso fresco. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours allowing the layers to blend and create an amazing flavor.
Before serving, top with additional cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro. This dish is warm, comforting and perfect on its own or served with tortilla chips. Want more variety? Try substituting rotisserie chicken in place of ground beef.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 jar (8.2 oz.) mole
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10.8 oz.) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 package (8 oz.) queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 pint sour cream, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- In a large skillet over medium-high, cook beef about 3 to 4 minutes until browned. Drain beef leaving a small amount of fat in skillet. Set aside.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat, add onion, peppers and garlic. Cook 4 to 5 minutes until onions are transluscent.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together beef broth and mole. Pour into skillet
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in beef, beans and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Spray slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half of the tortilla strips, half of the meat mixture, half of the queso fresco and sour cream.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas, beef mixture and queso fresco. Place crock in slow cooker base.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 4 hours.
- Top with sour cream and cilantro before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.