Kellie Hemmerly of The Suburban Soapbox is a former cubicle dweller turned stay at home mom, lover of wine and self-taught cook. She created her blog to share her kitchen and dining experiences with friends and family. Kellie lives in the suburbs of Philadelphia with her husband and two kids. She can usually be found swimming in butter, but she’s also on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Hi everyone! I’m Kellie with The Suburban Soapbox and I’m thrilled to be posting here at Everyday Good Thinking. I’m a big fan of sweets, especially those with a little hint of coffee in them. Paired with chocolate … my knees usually start to buckle with just one bite. Like these easy Mocha Mousse Parfaits with Baileys® Whipped Cream, they are seriously swoon-worthy.
I don’t frequently make desserts with coffee because I always make too much and then have a ton leftover, which I then tend to drink because … why waste it? And I definitely don’t need that much caffeine in my life, I should stop at two cups. That’s why I’m in love with the 2-Way FlexBrew Coffee Maker. This is the perfect appliance for my household because we drink coffee all the time. A little, a lot … all day long. In the evening, I set it to make a big pot in the morning. And then in the afternoon, I can make just one cup with the single serve side using either my favorite ground coffee or a single-serve pack. This also allows me to make just enough coffee for my favorite desserts.
These Mocha Mousse Parfaits with Baileys® Whipped Cream only use half a cup of coffee, so you only need to use half a cup of water in the single-serve side with enough grounds for half a cup. No waste, no ridiculous caffeine high from excessive amounts of coffee.
The mocha mousse is rich and dense, unlike most mousse recipes that are light and fluffy. It’s the perfect dessert for sharing because of its deep chocolate flavor. The slightly sweetened Baileys® whipped cream is the perfect contrast to the decadence of the mousse, and the crisp cookie crumbs add a great texture to the parfait.
These are super easy to make and can be made up to 24 hours in advance. A great and impressive addition to a dinner party or perfect for a laid-back sweet treat on a lazy Saturday night.
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into 1/2-ounce pieces
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into 1/2-ounce pieces
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dutch process cocoa
- 5 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
- 4 tablespoons Baileys® Irish Cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 10 chocolate wafer cookies
- Heat 1-inch of water in the bottom half of a double boiler over medium high heat. Place the chocolate, coffee and cocoa in the top of the double boiler and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Heat the chocolate until melted, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and stir until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and let it cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the egg whites and mix on high speed until soft peaks form, approximately 1 minute. Continue to whisk while slowly adding the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Whisk until firm peaks form and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 3/4 cup of the heavy cream in a well-chilled bowl until stiff. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the melted chocolate mixture and then fold in the whipped cream. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining cream, Baileys® and confectioners’ sugar until well whipped (between soft and stiff peaks … don’t over beat.) Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the chocolate wafers and process until fine crumbs form. Set aside.
- To assemble the parfaits, add a tablespoon of the crushed chocolate wafers to a parfait glass, add 1/3 cup of the mousse on top of each layer. Top the mousse with 1/3 cup whipped cream. Repeat the process once more. Top the last layer with chocolate shavings if desired. Serve immediately.
Flexibility defines every coffee maker in the FlexBrew® line. FlexBrew® coffee makers allow you to brew a delicious cup of coffee using single-serve packs such as K-Cup® packs* or your favorite ground coffee.
With a FlexBrew® Coffee maker in your kitchen, you’ll enjoy maximum brewing flexibility. You can brew into a cup or travel mug, enjoy up to 10 oz. of coffee with a single-serve pack, or brew up to 14 oz. with ground coffee. With the 2-Way FlexBrew® Coffee maker, you can brew a single cup or a full carafe, or even program your pot of coffee to be ready when you wake up. With all this flexibility, you’re sure to find the FlexBrew® coffee maker that fits your needs.