Nicoise salad is a French salad with tuna, hard boiled egg, green beans, potatoes, olives and other veggies served with a vinaigrette dressing. You can use fresh or canned tuna, but we think using a nicely grilled tuna steak to top the salad makes a world of difference – not just in presentation, but in flavor, too. Since it’s still cold outside, we’re lucky we can achieve this perfectly seared rare tuna on an indoor grill in just minutes.
First, we composed the salad with a bed of lettuce, then assembled sections of the different ingredients. We made a large platter for serving a group as a lunch salad (This would also be great to serve at a brunch or bring to a potluck shower.) so we used a fair amount of each ingredient. We seared the tuna on the Searing Grill, sliced it and served it over the salad with our favorite lemon vinaigrette on the side.
It was a delicious, healthy lunch and surprisingly hearty. If you don’t usually fill up on salads, this one was made for you.
- 2 (1 1/2-inches thick) tuna steaks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 4 large hard cooked eggs, peeled and halved
- 4 small red potatoes, cooked and quartered
- 4 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 marinated artichokes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 pound green beans, cooked
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup assorted olives
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 4 sprig fresh oregano
- 3 slices lemon slices
- Salad dressing
- Heat indoor grill to SEAR/450°F.
- Brush both sides of tuna steaks with olive oil.
- Grill tuna 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Let rest for 5 minutes and slice.
- Arrange remaining ingredients, except the oregano and salad dressing on a serving platter. Top with sliced tuna.
- Garnish with oregano sprigs, lemon slices and serve with choice of salad dressing.