There’s nothing like making sloppy joes from scratch to bring the family running to the dinner table. This deeply flavorful recipe requires very little effort, uses your slow cooker and makes a satisfying homemade meal. The beef and sloppy joe sauce cook simultaneously, so it is hot and ready to serve before you know it. No cans of pre-made sauce, here!
The beauty of the slow cooker is you can get a hot, fresh meal on the table but spend virtually no time in the kitchen. This easy sloppy joe recipe is no exception. Whether you throw it in the crock before work or on a Sunday morning, it will be ready to eat when you are. Even better, you can get creative with this shredded beef. Not only is it great on a bun, but it’s also perfection on a tortilla (shredded beef tacos, anyone?) for a unique twist on this barbecue sandwich classic.
- 3 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Sandwich buns
- Cut beef into 4-inch chunks. Place in crock.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over beef. Stir to thoroughly coat beef chunks. Cover. Cook on LOW 8 hours or HIGH 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove beef and shred, discarding any fat. Place the remaining sauce from crock into a blender and puree. Use caution when blending hot liquids.
- Serve beef on sandwich buns and spoon on extra sauce as desired.
- Try wrapping this meat in tortillas or putting it into pita pockets for a different barbecue twist!
For the cook who is busy all day but wants a home-cooked dinner at night, a slow cooker is the answer. And with the Set & Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker, technology takes a big leap forward from the outdated slow cookers found in yesterday’s kitchens.