In the Hamilton Beach test kitchen, we pride ourselves on coming up with great ideas to make cooking healthy, delicious meals for your family as effortless as possible. This recipe for basic, all-purpose shredded chicken is one of our favorite examples of easy and adaptable recipes. You can make it on Sunday and use the chicken in meals all week.
Basic shredded chicken can be easily made in a slow cooker while you prep other foods for the week, and all it takes is a family pack of chicken breasts, an onion and a little seasoning. In a couple hours, you can remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker to either slice or shred for use later. Our favorite way to shred warm, cooked chicken breast is in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Just add the chicken to the bowl and turn it on low until the chicken separates into shredded pieces. We work in batches and then divvy it up into labeled storage bags for use all week.
The storage bags go into the fridge or freezer, and we pull from them to make Buffalo Chicken Sliders, Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken Enchiladas, Curried Chicken Salad, Chicken Sandwiches, Chicken Fajitas and Chipotle Burrito Bowls. You could also try topping a Caesar salad or making quick and easy tacos with it. The next time you think about weekly meal prep-made-easy, add this quick and delicious recipe to the mix.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 Tablespoon roasted garlic and herbs seasoning blend
- Place sliced onion in bottom of slow cooker crock.
- Sprinkle chicken with seasoning.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 2 to 3 hours or LOW 4 to 5 hours.
- To shred chicken with a stand mixer, place half of cooked, hot chicken in bowl of mixer. Start on low and beat until chicken is broken up. Increase speed and mix on HIGH until chicken is evenly shredded. Repeat with second half of chicken.
- Use the shredded chicken for salads, enchiladas, casseroles or sandwiches. Can be frozen for future use.
For “one-pot” simplicity, nothing beats slow cooking. But when it comes to bringing hot meals to parties and potlucks, spills can be a concern. With the travel-friendly Set & Forget® Slow Cooker, messes aren’t an issue.