Burrito bowls and one dish meals are all the rage, and everyone seems to want the recipe for easy dishes like this homemade chipotle burrito bowl – and we can’t blame them! These meals are easy to prepare, perfect to make out of leftovers and quick to clean up because fewer dishes are used. Plus, if you have any picky eaters in the family, it’s not difficult to customize the bowl.
Here’s a tip: to prepare lunches or quick dinners like this, prep the ingredients on Sundays before your busy week begins. In fact, we made this at my house last night. We cut the grilled corn off a cob, diced up some fresh bell peppers and chiles, rinsed and warmed black beans, and chopped tomatoes and onions. Meanwhile, a batch of rice was going in my rice cooker and the fish was broiling in the toaster oven. The entire meal was easy and healthy – perfect for a quick supper. Often, we’ll double the recipe (or swap out the fish for chicken) and take the leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 small avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chipotle and roasted garlic seasoning, divided
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 pound tilapia fillets
- Chopped cilantro
- Using a chopper or small food processor, blend avocado, sour cream, lime juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- Spray toaster oven baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- in small bowl, mix mayonnaise and remaining 1 teaspoon seasoning.
- Brush mayonnaise mixture on both sides of tilapia fillets.
- Place coated fish in pan.
- Set toaster oven to BROIL. Broil fish for 10 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.
- Serve with avocado sauce and garnish with lime slices and cilantro, if desired.
- Test Kitchen Tip: Turn this recipe into a rice bowl. Fill bottom of bowl with rice and arrange remaining ingredients on top.
- Make rice easily in a rice cooker. Here's how: The rice measuring cup that comes with your rice cooker is an important tool in using your rice cooker successfully. Its size is standard in the rice industry. One rice measuring cup equals 6 oz. or approximately 3/4 cup.
- 1. Place cooking pot on base of rice cooker.
- 2. Add desired amount of uncooked rice to pot; then fill with water to corresponding water line. Example: If you add 3 level rice cups of rice to the cooking pot, add water to the “3” line of the cooking pot. Do not fill above the MAX fill line.
- 3. Press switch to turn on rice cooker or for programmable rice cookers select program and rice cooker will automatically start.
- 4. When finished cooking, rice cookers will shut off and switch to warm. For softer rice, let stand on warm for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To drizzle sauce over fish, place sauce in resealable zipper bag. Close bag. With scissors, cut one tip off of bag. Squeeze bag to drizzle sauce over fish.
Besides preparing all varieties of white and brown rice, the Digital Simplicity™ 4-20 Cup Rice Cooker steams food to perfection and cooks prepackaged pasta & rice mixes as well as nutritious, flavorful beans.