Fish tacos are one of my favorite things to order off any menu, and now you can prepare them yourself and save the extra money you would’ve spent at a restaurant for a crisp white wine to pair with your meal. This recipe is perfect for summer grilling season, but will end up a year-round classic after you see how simple it is to make.
Our recipe uses tilapia, but you can use any flaky, mild white fish you like. The fish is marinated with a flavor-packed spice rub and the tacos are topped with a spicy jalapeño slaw (but you can use whatever toppings you want). We like a cooling sour cream or Mexican crema and cotija cheese with avocados and limes. If you can’t find cotija cheese, queso blanco works just as well. Now you’re all set for a quick and easy dinner that doesn’t lack in flavor. Fire up the grill!
- Juice of 2 limes, divided and reserved
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound tilapia filets
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 bag (14 oz.) coleslaw mix
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 6 corn tortillas (6-inch each)
- Stir half of the lime juice, olive oil, chili powder, coriander, cumin, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt in small bowl until blended.
- Brush mixture on both sides of fish. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Mix remaining lime juice, honey, vinegar and remaining salt in large bowl. Stir in cole slaw mix, jalapeño, cilantro and green onion until well blended.
- Preheat indoor grill on SEAR/450°F. Grill fish 5 minutes, turning half way through. Remove to platter and break into chunks.
- Grill tortillas on each side until soft with grill marks.
- Top each tortilla with fish and cole slaw.
The high temperature of the Searing Grill makes it possible to get outdoor flavor indoors. Plus, the hood, grill plate and tray are removable and dishwasher-safe, making cleanup a breeze.