It’s officially summer. (Hooray!) And that means everyone is grilling. The smells of charcoal, smoky iron grates, fire and charred beef waft through the neighborhood as though beckoning us to join in. Summer brings the rituals of marinating, searing, flipping and checking for perfect grill marks. Every kitchen and backyard has become a serious place for the pit master to showcase the barbecue he or she has been perfecting all year.
Things are no different at the Hamilton Beach headquarters, where the technique for perfectly grilled hash marks are discussed regularly in the Test Kitchen and favorite recipes are passed around like office memos. This recipe for Smoky Grilled Short Ribs is an office favorite. We went crazy for the tender meat and flavorful crust.
These short ribs are so great because they are simple to prepare and quick to grill. The ribs can be dressed up with classic sides like mashed potatoes and vegetables, or dressed down with corn on the cob and side salad. Whatever your presentation, we’re sure the slightly sweet and smoky short ribs will be a crowd pleaser, and the smell of these cooking on the grill will have your neighbors begging for the recipe.
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 boneless or bone-in beef short ribs (about 4 pounds)
- Stir brown sugar, oil, orange juice, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Place short ribs in glass baking dish. Rub mixture over short ribs, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat or GRILL ZONE (orange).
- Grill short ribs to desired doneness, about 4 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Grilling time may vary depending on the thickness of the beef short ribs.
With top-of-the-line features such as porcelain-coated, cast iron cooking grates and oversized temperature gauges, Hamilton Beach grills are built to perform. Choose the outdoor grill that fits your cooking needs best, and enjoy the compliments you get from family and friends every time you fire up the grill.