Realizing you can make delicious desserts in the slow cooker has to be one of my favorite discoveries. If you think low and slow moist heat is only good for soups and stews, there’s a whole new world for you to discover. This world contains some of the best sweet treats you can find, like this bread pudding with a twist.
It tastes like the moistest banana bread you’ve ever had, and it’s perfect served as breakfast, dessert or a brunch side dish. It would be an impressive contribution to a potluck, and best of all, it’s incredibly easy to make.
The “hard sauce” served on the side is like a cross between frosting and glaze. The sweet cinnamon flavor adds a lot to the bread pudding, like the glaze on top of a cinnamon roll. The banana flavor is fantastic, but you could substitute any other mashable fruit, like fresh berries, cooked apples or stone fruit.
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 (20 oz.) French bread loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tablespoons light rum or milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Puree bananas and eggs in food processor bowl.
- Spray slow cooker crock with cooking spray and place in slow cooker base.
- Pour banana mixture into crock. Stir in milk, brown sugar, vanilla and 2 teaspoons cinnamon until well blended.
- Fold in bread cubes until bread is coated.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 2 1/2 to 3 hours or LOW 5 1/2 to 6 hours.
- Serve with Cinnamon Hard Sauce.
- Using a stand mixer, beat butter in small bowl until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, rum, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt until smooth and well blended.
- Any leftover Cinnamon Hard Sauce would be great over pancakes, waffles, or French toast. If serving without Cinnamon Hard Sauce, sprinkle with a mixture of 1 Tablespoon confectioners' sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.