Summer is all about grilling, am I right? Sure, summer has a lot of other fun things going on, but if I had to choose my favorite thing about summer it would be the fast, easy and fresh food I get to enjoy thanks to my garden and grill.
With Hamilton Beach’s searing grill I can now take my grilling year-round, rain or shine. It’s small and sits right on my countertop, but grills like a pro!
My garden isn’t quite brimming with fresh produce just yet, but my grocery store and local farmers markets are. And these sandwiches are the perfect way to enjoy them. Here, I’ve used zucchini, mushrooms, red peppers and onions, but feel free to get creative. And while the grilled vegetables shine enough on their own, you could certainly add a grilled chicken breast or a few slices of crispy bacon if you just gotta have some meat.
The grilled veggies may be the star, but the herb goat cheese spread almost steals the show. Don’t skimp; it brings the whole thing together into one delicious summery sandwich. Perfect for lunch or an easy dinner, these grilled veggie sandwiches are sure to be a favorite all summer long.
- 5 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 portobello mushroom, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced and seeds removed
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices ciabatta bread (or 2 ciabatta rolls, sliced)
- Goat cheese spread
- To make the goat cheese spread, combine the goat cheese, basil, chives, lemon zest, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Toss together the zucchini, mushrooms, red pepper and onion in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the veggies directly on a grill preheated to medium high. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until grill marks are present and veggies are softened. Remove from heat.
- Spread the goat cheese on the bottom slice of bread for each sandwich. Stack veggies on top. Serve immediately.
- Be sure to slice veggies into large pieces so they rest easily on the grill without falling through. You may have leftover goat cheese spread. You can store it in the fridge for up to one week.
The high temperature of the Searing Grill makes it possible to get outdoor flavor indoors. Plus, the hood, grill plate and tray are removable and dishwasher-safe, making cleanup a breeze.