Summer is beautiful, activity-filled and exciting. It’s also hot as can be. Sitting outside on a sweltering summer day in Virginia usually involves dabbing at the beads of sweat peaking on your forehead. All the while, you are trying to remember how much you missed this humid weather when it was a frigid single degree in January. The grass is always greener, right?
Everyone knows the best way to beat the heat is with something cool and refreshing. Iced tea, lemonade, ice cream, ice pops and coladas are seen everywhere as people try to manage the sweltering sun. That’s where this delicious gazpacho comes in – it’s perfect for those days when it’s too hot to turn on the oven – or when all you want is someone to dump a bucket of ice water over your head like a coach who just won the championship game.
The gazpacho comes together quickly and easily in the food processor, so the recipe is simple. After the soup is made, it sits to chill in the refrigerator so the flavors can meld together, creating a fresh meal that keeps everyone sane and satisfied as the thermometer climbs.
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 1 package (.66 oz.) fresh basil, leaves only
- 1 hot pepper (jalapeno or finger hot), stem removed
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded, cut into quarters
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Using S-blade and with processor running, drop onion, basil, jalepeño and garlic through the food chute and chop until finely minced. Scrape bowl as needed. Stop processor.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber, yellow pepper to the bowl. Pulse until desired texture is reached, scraping bowl as needed.
- Pour into large bowl. Stir in tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
The unique, patent-pending design of the Stack & Snap™ 12 Cup Food Processor requires no difficult twisting and locking, and the simple function guide shows you which blade to use and which button to press.