This hearty, comforting meal is easy to prep and let cook in the slow cooker all day while you’re working or running errands. It’s perfect for cool and rainy spring days when you don’t feel like putting in a lot of effort, but want a fabulous one-pot meal for your family. It even makes great leftovers, so fill up the slow cooker now and make sure you have a loaf of crusty bread on hand by dinnertime.
- 1 package (8-oz) sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (10 3/4-oz. each) fat free condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 package (4.3-oz) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Hearty whole wheat bread
- Place mushrooms, onion and celery in slow cooker crock; top with chicken breasts. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stir water, soups and seasoning packet from rice in large bowl until well blended; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW 7 to 8 hours until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and shred with fork. Return to crock and stir in rice. Cover and cook 40 more minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley before serving and serve with bread.
Even if you are away for 12 hours, the intuitive cooking flexibility of the IntelliTime™ 6 Quart Slow Cooker ensures you won’t come home to overcooked mush.