I know it seems like it snowed just yesterday, but soon colorful Easter eggs will be all over Pinterest and flyers for Easter egg hunts will be plastered everywhere. If there’s one kitchen task I’ve always avoided, it’s making hard-boiled eggs. As accomplished as I am in the kitchen, I always seem to mess them up. But the new Hamilton Beach Egg Cooker makes it easy and reduces the hassle and cleanup involved. After the eggs have been decorated and you’ve cracked and eaten a few, get creative with hard-boiled egg dishes like cobb salad, pickled eggs, deviled eggs (look for that recipe next week!) or this classic egg salad.
If you’ve ever been a kid, you know egg salad is as ubiquitous as mac n’ cheese and tunafish sandwiches – sometimes dishes are classic for a reason. That’s how we feel about egg salad, at Easter or any other time, and our recipe below honors the basic egg salad tradition. However, we highly suggest serving this delicious mixture of eggs, mayo and mustard in new ways – like over toasted artisan bread with arugula and bacon – for a nice twist on the usual and a welcome reprieve from snacking on decorated eggs.
- 7 large hard-cooked eggs, cooled and chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sweet pickled relish
- 1 Tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 black pepper
- Stir eggs, mayonnaise, relish, mustard, salt and pepper in medium bowl until blended.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare your egg salad and serve as an open faced sandwich. Start with a slice of hearty bread, topped with arugula, egg salad and sprinkle with chopped cooked bacon.