Confetti cake reminds me of birthdays, good times and celebrations. Even saying it makes me smile! But you don’t need a birthday or holiday to enjoy the fun and fancy of a delicious cake studded with pops of bright color. Adding the fun of sprinkles (or jimmies) is actually incredibly easy, and it makes a standard cake a little more festive.
Buttermilk cake is absolutely delicious (even without the confetti.) The buttermilk adds a tang you wouldn’t expect, but makes it addictive. The buttermilk twist plus the pretty confetti surprise makes this cake a winner every time.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup multi-colored sprinkles
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Multi-colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Stir flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Set mixture aside.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract on HIGH in large bowl until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, until well blended.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk until combined. Stir in 1/4 cup sprinkles.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Place one pan on bottom rack and one pan on top rack, rotate halfway through baking.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.
- Remove cakes from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Frost with Cream Cheese Frostingand top with sprinkles.