In our Heritage Dish series, we feature Hamilton Beach employees and their favorite family recipes. This month, we highlight Mary Beth Brault, Sr. Manager, Corporate Communications, and her family of seven’s favorite please-all recipe, Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup.
In my house, we have five children ranging in age from 18 – 7. Yes, five. As you can imagine, dinner is often a free for all. Wait – let me emphasize – FREE FOR ALL. Wading through the picky palates of five children can be an exercise in futility. We have one with such severe food allergies, ingesting a small amount of certain foods can kill him (literally). We have one who’s quick gag reflex and disdain for cheese will often cause the rest of the family to flee the table, taking their appetites with them. There is the 18 year old that dissects every calorie and is on a constant mission to throw away my Mason jar of bacon grease (as if!), and one who decides to become a vegetarian, then abruptly quits after three months. The youngest, while arguably the most adventurous eater of all, thinks it’s hilarious to gross out the family with rude noises. Everyone who knows me as a mother, knows I’m in the “just eat it because I said so” camp, but vomit and anaphylaxis are two things I would like to avoid on any given night.
My go-to recipe for keeping the quirks of my family at bay is this slow cooker chicken noodle soup. My kids ask for it on a regular basis. Of all the crazy things that happen at our FREE FOR ALL dinners, this chicken noodle soup, at the very least, ensures a few minutes of serenity at the table.
This recipe makes enough for our family of seven, but if you don’t have the brood I do, it’s great to freeze leftovers. If you will be freezing it, cook the egg noodles separately.
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 1/2 to 4 pound whole chicken
- 1 package (12 oz.) wide egg noodles
- Combine chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, turmeric, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Place whole chicken on top of vegetables in crock. Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on HIGH or 7 hours on LOW.
- Remove chicken and place on a cutting board to cool.
- Add egg noodles to slow cooker. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken; shred meat. Add shredded chicken to mixture in slow cooker. Add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve immediately or freeze soup in serving-size portions.