This yummy meal is quick, simple and easy to prepare. The shrimp cooks quickly, and the basmati is easy to make in a rice cooker. Just add the rice, broth and salt and it will beep when it’s done. Delicious rice has never been easier. When the rice cooker is finished, stir in some of the tomatoes, feta and oregano to create a Mediterranean style base.
Grilled shrimp is one of our favorite summertime treats, but there’s no reason we can’t enjoy it in January with an indoor searing grill. Shrimp does well on the grill because it cooks rapidly at high temperatures. We grilled our shrimp on kebab sticks, but you can use a grill basket or foil if you prefer. Make sure the grill is very, very hot before placing shrimp on the grates, so it cooks quickly and gets perfect grill marks. To present the dish, you can simply lay a kebab over the bowl or you can slide the shrimp off and serve it over the rice.
Fresh oregano makes an aromatic garnish, and the lime wedges add a pop of bright flavor to the meal. We especially like to squeeze lime juice directly over the shrimp to bring out its flavor. Eat leftovers the next day in the form of a cool, refreshing salad – just mix any remaining shrimp into the leftover rice and refrigerate in an airtight container. The next day, you’ll notice even more oregano flavor in the rice. We love this dish for its ease and bright flavors, but also because it’s healthy while feeling hearty.
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Limes wedges
- Preheat grill.
- Cook brown basmati rice, chicken broth and salt in rice cooker or following package directions. Keep warm.
- Combine crumbled feta cheese with chopped oregano.
- Stir tomatoes and half of feta mixture into hot rice.
- Toss shrimp with olive oil and freshly ground pepper.
- Grill shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes or until pink. Do not overcook.
- To serve, top rice mixture with grilled shrimp and remaining feta and oregano mixture.
- Garnish with lime wedges.