Strawberries are in season from June through August in most regions. Here in the mid-Atlantic, we’ve been seeing them in farmers markets for about a month now. If you live in a climate like Southern California’s, you may see them much more often.
To select the best berries, look for bright red berries with the green caps still on. Avoid any container with moldy berries as the spores can spread and ruin an entire container, even if the berries aren’t actually physically touching the moldy spots. Use your strawberries as soon as possible, or store them in the refrigerator covered loosely with plastic wrap, as warm temperatures can change the color of fresh strawberries. You can store them for up to three days. Wash your strawberries only when you are ready to use them. To wash, rinse the berries in a colander under cold running water. Remove the green stem and caps with a paring knife before chopping, slicing or processing.
Strawberries are sweet and delicious, but they are also good for you! They have more vitamin C per ounce than citrus fruits, and a cup of strawberries is only 55 calories*. Kids and adults love the fruit; 94% of households in the United States consume strawberries*. Here are some of our favorite ways to use strawberries this summer. Enjoy!
- 2 bags black tea
- 2 large strawberries, sliced
- 5 to 6 mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ice cubes
- Place tea bags flat in filter basket.
- Fill water reservoir with 1 cup water.
- Fill a 16-ounce container 3/4 full with ice.
- Add strawberries, mint, and sugar to container.
- Brew tea into ice-filled container. Stir well.
- This recipe was designed to be used with the Hamilton Beach Personal Iced Tea Brewer. It can be adapted easily by steeping tea according to package instructions and pouring over ice. Add additional ingredients, stir, and enjoy!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) package strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 30 vanilla wafers, broken into small pieces
- 2 whole strawberries, halved
- In a large mixing bowl, add heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Layer half of the whipped cream, strawberries and cookie pieces between 4 parfait glasses. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Top each with a strawberry half before serving.