It’s seven o’clock on Monday morning. The buses are picking up kids for school and the cars are leaving the driveways. The remaining families are rushing around trying to find homework sheets, briefcases, favorite pairs of shoes, travel coffee mugs, or lunch bags. At your house, there might be yelling. There might be an alarm going off that is supposed to remind you to leave on time. There might be a dog following at your heels until the second you close the door and head to work. On a hectic morning like this, you are lucky if there is food on the table. Wait, you didn’t forget about breakfast, right?
Breakfast: the most important meal of the day, according to mom’s everywhere. The thing is, a lot of moms (and most people without children) have a hard time getting a decent breakfast before they have to run out the door to start their day. This is why we at Everyday Good Thinking decided to lend you a hand by figuring out a quick breakfast menu that should please your whole family.
English muffin sandwiches with egg, ham, and cheese are a hearty start to the morning and the best part is that you can always customize them to your preference. If you are trying to eat healthily or you just prefer the fresh taste of a crisp vegetable, you can add some spinach or a slice of tomato. If you want extra cheese, you can do that, too. You can also sub out ingredients to meet various dietary needs, like using egg whites or a low-sodium meat substitute. Plus, it saves you from stopping at the coffee shop or drive-through, which you know just costs more money. Here is one of our favorite classic breakfast sandwiches that we make on our way out the door, and we think you’ll love it, too.
- 1 English muffin, split
- 1 slice American cheese
- 1 slice Canadian bacon
- 1 large egg, lightly scrambled
- Preheat Breakfast Sandwich Maker until green READY light comes on. Lift cover, top ring and cooking plate.
- Place bottom half of English muffin, split-side up in bottom ring of Breakfast Sandwich Maker. Top with cheese and Canadian bacon.
- Lower cooking plate and top ring. Add egg to cooking plate.
- Top with remaining muffin half, split-side down.
- Close cover. Cook 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slide out cooking plate by rotating handle clockwise. Lift cover and rings; carefully remove sandwich with plastic spatula.